Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Logitech K810 Bluetooth Illuminated Keyboard

I've always enjoyed writing.  The problem I face is that the inspiration to write comes at odd times and often, inconvenient places.  It isn't always possible to get to my desktop PC in a timely fashion.  Even if I can get to it, it would take 5 minutes to boot up and I would have lost my train of thought.  A notebook can sometimes address the need but it isn't a solution when I'm traveling light or may be overkill if all I want to do is to type a few short sentences.  I've always thought that having mobile writing device would address this problem.  The answer to this is obviously a tablet.  I have an iPad 3 that I use to write on occasionally.  Unfortunately, you really need an external keyboard of some sort for reasonable typing.
 
This is obviously where the Logitech K810 Bluetooth Illuminated Keyboard comes in. 

The main part of the keyboard with the alpha numeric keys is backed by what what appears to be brushed aluminum. The function keys are surrounded by a glossy black plastic. The entire keyboard is very compact, measuring about 11 3/8" by 5". 

The right edge of the keyboard houses a slide switch to turn the device on which is necessary because this is a wireless keyboard. There is a micro-USB connector on the front edge of the keyboard for charging purposes. A USB cable is provided in the box for this purpose.  Micro-USB is certainly the way to go as more and more mobile devices are using this instead of proprietary connectors.  In fact the European Union requires that all mobile phones sold after 2010 support charging via micro-USB.  There is also a connect button on the back to initiate Bluetooth connections.  What is missing from the back are extendable feet that many keyboards have to tilt the device for a more comfortable typing angle.


The keys are, for the most part, standard ones that you'd expect to find on a keyboard designed for windows with the "Windows" key in addition to the "Alt" key.  The keys are nicely formed with a slightly concave surface.  The keys have a standard key spacing but the cursor keys are half-sized ones.

Like most keyboards, each of the 12 function keys has a dual function. The first 3 (F1-F3) allow the user to choose which device the keyboard is connected to via Bluetooth. I use this capability to quickly choose between an iPad, an iPhone and an Android phone that I use on a regular basis.


One of the really unique features of this wireless keyboard is that it is back lit. To save on power usage, it automatically dims and shuts off the back lighting if your take your hands off the keyboard or keep them still for about 10 seconds. When you put your hands near the keyboard, a sensor turns the back lighting back on. I found this very useful when working in dimly lit areas. The intensity of the backlighting can also be controlled via the F5 and F6 keys.  The keyboard automatically turns the back illumination off if it detects that there is sufficient ambient lighting.  I suppose all this is necessary to provide a reasonable battery life.

Some of the function keys have different behaviors depending on the device to which it is connected.  In iOS, F11 also functions like the Home key and F12 hides the virtual keyboard.  The same keys open the default browser and fire up the calculator program in Windows 7. The F4 key doesn't appear to do anything in iOS, but fires up an application switcher in Windows 7. 


I used the keyboard primarily with an iPad.  Most of this review was written on it.  I also tested it briefly on a Windows 7-based system as well as on a Nexus 4.   I didn't have any difficulty adjusting to the new keyboard.  It was comfortable to use and I totally forgot that I was using a new keyboard after a few minutes.  

I really liked the two key - pardon the pun - features; the back lit keys and the easy-switch Bluetooth capability.  It literally takes one key press to switch between different systems once it's been set up.  With the compact size and robust build, this keyboard covers all the key requirements I had in mind when searching for a portable keyboard.

A minor quibble I have has to do with the slide switch on the right edge of the keyboard.  This small power switch isn't very substantial and may be the weakest link in the chain.  It's holding up well so far, but only time will tell if it is robust enough to survive repeated use.

Alternatives I looked at include the Microsoft Wedge Mobile keyboard and the Logitech Ultra Thin Keyboard Cover.  The Microsoft keyboard comes with a handy cover that doubles as a stand for your mobile device but didn't have the quick switch feature.  The Logitech Ultra Thin keyboard cover is good if it's to be used on a more permanent basis with a compatible iPad.  I didn't like it because I wanted a more stand-alone solution that could be used with other non iPad devices.

The Logitech K810 is the closest thing to an ideal portable keyboard that I've found that meets most the criteria I had in mind when I started my search.  Highly recommended.

You can buy it here.

Bonus Mini Review: WaterField Designs Keyboard Slip

It would have been nice if Logitech had provided a cover for the keyboard since I expect to travel with it.  Since they didn't, I had to find my own.   I ended up with the WaterField Keyboard Slip.
This ballistic nylon case was designed for use with the Apple wireless keyboard but fits the Logitech keyboard perfectly.  It provides the required protection without being too bulky or heavy.  It comes with a choice of 6 trim colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment